Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hello Everybody,
I was waiting all week to write you cause we had lots of pretty awesome stuff happen this week. So I think I may have mentioned it last week, but for the last two weeks we have been teaching seminary from 7:00-8:00 and it has been super awesome. The kids we teach are 15 and 16 and really haven't had much interest at all in coming. We were playing lots of games, helping them memorize scripture mastery, and just teaching the stories from the Old Testament. I remember taking the Old Testament in seminary and just being SO not interested. The only thing that made it interesting was having good seminary teachers who changed it up and did exciting things. We had success and were really seeing and hearing about the excitement of our kids by the end of the two weeks. We were talking to some of the kids at church and they kept telling us that they wanted us to just teach the rest of the year. It would have been fun. Anyway, the best part about the whole experience was at the end when we heard a girl from our class give a talk on Sunday. She mentioned how much she had been learning from seminary from "the elders" and how much she has learned to love the gospel. It was an awesome to know we did some good.

The next highlight was on Wednesday afternoon. Both Elder Larson and I felt a prompting to go and visit Kristen, who we haven't been able to meet with in about a month now. We showed up and she looked shocked to see us at first. We had a good quick talk and then we just asked how she had been doing. She started to cry and tell us that things had been really hard recently. We were SO glad that we showed up when we did. We just explained to her that we missed her and wanted to meet with her again, and she said that she would love it and so we're hopefully going to see her this week. I know it sounds kind of messed up, but I really like seeing people cry...obviously when that crying is brought on by the spirit, not by tragedy or heartache. I feel like it was a good cry though.

Another great event this week was having Zone Conference. We had all 10 elders from around the area down and President/Sister Campbell and the assistants came up. We met on Friday morning and had a really great meeting. Elder Larson and I gave a training based on a talk called "An Educated Conscience." It is phenomenal talk! Basically it talks about how we can ensure more promptings from the Holy Ghost, and becoming more familiar with the voice of the Spirit. It gives 5 points: 1. frequently treasure up the words and love of Christ 2.Pray to know what God would have you do 3.Covenant to do it 4.Keep the Covenant 5.Return and Report. As I’ve been applying it, I have felt a total difference, especially in the last step. I really haven’t' ever felt more satisfaction after praying to Heavenly Father reporting that I have done what I said I would do. I have felt so much closer to Him as I have done this.

That really is all the highlights for the week. I guess another note is we had to change Donald's baptism date to April 7th so that we could get all the teaching in before he gets baptized. We are still working with him though. I love you all a lot and can't wait to hear from you and see you in a little while,

-Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment