Monday, August 29, 2011

Appreciating the Sabbath Day

Wow. What a grandma! She has got to be one of the sweetest ladies on the planet. Anyway, I can't say that we saw a HUGE difference this week as far as progress, but we had a lesson with Terry on Tuesday night where he opened up like a book. He was just pouring out his concerns and all the things that are holding him back from progressing. His girlfriend, Kim, who is extremely nice to us when we're there I guess is kind of a two-face. When we leave, he says, she just bad mouths us and the things we teach and are inviting him to do. Yikes. The one thing he did say that about knocked me off my chair is, "if I had to choose between Kim and Jesus Christ, I already have the answer. That's Jesus Christ. Would it be easy? No, but He would make it possible." Holy smokes!!! Can you believe that? I don't think I’ve ever heard a true to life more powerful conversion to the savior.

We also had a really great lesson with Jasmine. She is very excited about her baptismal date on October 1st but didn't come to church yesterday! Neither did Terry. We were supposed to have 3 investigators there and a big whopping zero showed up. What a bunch of hosers, eh? This week in church a missionary from the Sturgeon ward came home from Armenia. He said that in a country of 3 million they have one branch with less than 100 active members. I can't believe how blessed I am to have grown up surrounded by members of the church who supported and gave me the perfect environment to grow a testimony. I can't believe how strong the members here are as well. I have found in the last few weeks that I really have totally changed how I view the week around since the beginning of my mission. I don't know if I’ve talked about this before or not, so if I have just don't read the next paragraph.

Anyway, I used to just count the hours until p-day so I could rest from the Lord's work and do what I wanted to do. I never had given any thought to the commandment of keeping the Sabbath day holy and how it says to rest from all your labors. It never says to rest from the Lord's labors. Ever since I had that shown to me I have started counting down the minutes until church. It is amazing to me the recharge and the burst of energy I feel after coming out of church. After giving out testimony all week the tank feels a little empty, and then you go to Church and are buoyed up by so many people with amazing testimonies of Christ and you just feel like you drank a spiritual Gatorade. It really makes me sad when I hear other missionaries talk about their worries of going less active when they get home, because it just doesn't make any sense to me. As a missionary, I understand more than ever why we go, and why we keep going! If, even on your mission, you don't understand that, then what is the point? If you don't understand it for yourself, you can't help other to understand, and that's what we're here to do. I guess all in all, I just really love going to church now.

I guess that is it for this week. I sure love you and miss you all. I hope you are happy and healthy.

-Elder Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment