Monday, July 18, 2011

Goodbyes and Hellos

July 18, 2001

Hello Everyone,

Well...man. What a week! We have been doing lots of work this week, and my legs are feeling it. So Elder Wilde left and is now in the land of eternal P-days. I miss him a lot. He was a great elder, and a friend I look forward to catching up with later in life. Elder Blake as well. Luckily, both are from St. George so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get together with them.

For Elder Wilde's last few days we mostly just visited members and I attempted to prep him for coming home and dating. He has never really dated and is anxious to try ha ha ha. He is a funny kid. Anyway, now I am with Elder Carson, from Windsor, Nova Scotia. He is very quiet and lacks emotion of any kind. He has told pretty much every member we meet with that he doesn't get sad, or happy, or excited, doesn't miss people, doesn't get attached....ha ha yep. Needless to say he isn't the warm cuddly kind of missionary my last two companions have been. The members definitely feel the change and don’t love it too much.

Elder Wilde and I were told on multiple occasions that we just looked happy to be there and happy to be a companionship, etc. It was all true. I hope to be able to get to that point with Elder Carson, but it'll take some work. At the trainers meeting, where we meet our greenys, the tradition is when you find out who he is you jump up and give him a big hug. Well we were about half way down the list and then we were called and he held out his hand for a handshake. I couldn't resist and quoted, "Elders don't shake hands, elders gotta hug." And just gave him a big hug. President Campbell just laughed and said to E.C. "you'll have to get used to that elder, we hug a lot more than hand shake around here." He wasn't very pleased with the whole situation.

We also ran into mishap right after transfer meeting. We walked out to our car and told Elder Carson that he would be doing the driving, because I’m not allowed anymore. He told me that he didn't have his license....problem! We are in a driving area, and our area is separated by about a 15 kilometer gap right down the middle. We are teaching people in the opposite area of which we live. We need a car and we don't have bikes and so we informed our vehicle coordinator and he said he would figure it out. President Campbell told us that he would figure it out and I’ll either get my driving privileges back or we'll have to change our companionship. So for the time being, I am driving without a license under President Campbell's direction. We were told to drive as little as possible, so that is why we've been walking tons.

We record a key indicator each day called "quality gospel conversations" and our usual amount for the week is roughly 10. These are pretty much just solid contacts with people we find. This week we blew that out of the water with 19! We also got 3 referrals this week. I literally have maybe gotten two for my whole last year of my mission, and we got three in a week. I was super super excited, and 2 of the 3 of them have turned into new potential investigators. Member work is so sweet. We have made it a goal to visit every active member of our ward each month, in hopes we can build some good trust with the members and get those referrals flowing!

As far as investigators this week, we really did crappy. Terry was out of town the whole week, and Romeo finally moved out of his children's mother's house and is now living in a place the he described as, "not appropriate for missionaries to come, or meet with [him]" I don't exactly know what that means, but we decided we should probably trust him and leave it at that. We are hopefully going to start meeting him at the church here in St. Albert instead. We set up a lot of lessons this week with members of the ward in implementing our new goal. I really think it will work great.

Besides that, I am still just adjusting with the new transfer, and being the older missionary in the companionship for only the second time. It is SOOOO much different than being with a companion that is already founded and practiced as a missionary. I don't think I have ever been more grateful for a junior companion calling as I am now. Hopefully I will be again at some point! Anyway, I am learning a lot. I am giving a training this week in district meeting on being yourself and teaching as a person/with personality rather than a gospel robot. Hopefully it will be well received.

Love you so so much. I hope every one is happy and doing well. It was great to see Jaci's little baby. How long with they be in AK? Did they move there for good? Have a good week, and talk to you all soon!


Elder Brown




No comments:

Post a Comment