Monday, November 22, 2010

A Testimony of Companionships

Hello everyone!


This week has been pretty good I suppose. Besides that, it has not dropped down into the -30's with wind chill. We still don't have too many people to teach so we are taking lots of time out in the bitter cold to go out and find. Regrettably....it really sucks to be out in the cold for that long.

I really am enjoying the city, but we live across the river from the metro area of Edmonton, so it is about a 1 1/2 hour walk to get there or a 45 minute bus ride. We are trying and we are really grinding the members of our ward for some friends/referrals to teach. Around Christmas time, that is the gift we have been asking for from each member. At every dinner appointment we encourage every family to be using the lessons from chapter 3 in Preach My Gospel in their family home evenings. I would really love to say my family is doing the same thing! So if you wouldn't mind doing that, I would love to use my wonderful family as the good example! Please go through the PMG lessons in family home evening.
I know that understanding the most simple doctrines of our church has helped me get more acquainted with the things that we need in our lives, and not get caught up on all the things we think we really want to know. I know that knowing and learning these simple things will help us feel more comfortable talking about the gospel with those that we can. I have almost forgotten what it feels like to be in northern Utah where everyone I knew, for the most part, was Mormon. I hope that all of you will try to get to know the Elders serving in your area and help them as much as possible. Using PMG is basically the best way to do this. Thank you so much!

Anyway, we had some pretty good adventures this week. We had a lesson with T.J. Ellis who is a less active member. Our phone has been spazzing out and we had to call him to get him to come open his outer door for us to come into our appointment. We had just finished dinner and were rushing over to his place when we noticed that our phone was dead and that the door to his building was locked an hour earlier than usual due to daylight savings. Elder Blake and I were pretty stumped because his buzzer is in the lobby which was not accessible.... I'm sure you can see our predicament.
Luckily his apartment is on the bottom floor and he has a little back yard. So we walked around to the side of the building and not only was there a 6 or 7 foot fence, but the whole building was raised on cement about 4 feet.... It was really really high. I jumped up onto the fence and looked through the fence into his backyard and it looked mildy familiar, but different because everything was now covered in snow. Anyway, we decided to just go for it and I would hoist Elder Blake over the fence. He is only a few pounds over a hundred so I could hoist him up easily enough. So I put him on my shoulders and then literally threw him over the fence.
I heard him land with a thud and then he ran to the door and knocked. After I heard T.J. answer and the door close, I realized that I was not with my companion anymore and I was in a pretty scary dark alley. I haven't ever felt that alone in my life! I gained an instant testimony of the companion rule at that moment. Anyways, I ran all the way around the building and met up with him and it was a pretty happy reunion. It was quite the memorable night.
As far as other people we are teaching, we didn't get to meet with the twins this week. We are hoping to meet with them twice this upcoming week. Anyway, my time is running out and I better go. I love you all so much and I'll talk to you next week. Tell people in our family to actually write me sometime.

-Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment