Monday, October 4, 2010

In the FIELD for FOUR MONTHS!

October 4, 2010


Well Hello Everyone!
Wasn't conference such a powerhouse of good messages?! It seemed like the big theme of conference was faith, prophets, and repentance. It felt like we heard that over and over and over! I guess if we hear it that many times, we should all be following that council. I really loved being able to be out on a mission for conference this time because I was intently looking on things that I can improve on and things that might help the people we are teaching. It is incredible how many answers we can find through the leaders of our church by simply listening and taking some notes. I wish I would have thought of that earlier. I am so excited to get the conference issue and am even more excited to share the words of our Prophet and his apostles to the people in our area.

Danny, our upcoming baptism, planned out his baptismal service last night and Elder Taylor and myself will be the witnesses to his baptism. He said he wanted to get dunked by Gil and Gil was very very nervous to do so. He loves drama and was big into acting in his younger years, so I don't doubt his ability to memorize a sentence. Hopefully if he can't remember, the spirit will help him out a little bit. He really is excited to get going and to know the gospel. He isn't the brightest, but he is one of the most sincere people I have met in my life. He has quit drinking and finished his last pack of cigarettes today. I hope that if didn't finish them, he will feel strong enough to smash the rest of them. We explained that it is now or never with smoking. He was given a blessing like i talked about last week and our ward mission leader, Brother Mills, explained to him that for the blessing to have any effect he has to keep his end of the deal by actually quitting smoking! Brother Mills really is an awesome man and isn't afraid to lay down the law. I want to be like that by the end of my mission!

Besides that we extended another commitment this week. Saling, a new Philippine investigator, really is another sincere person. She works in an old folks home and does extended care for people. We met here in her current patients room and it seriously was the strangest thing ever. All of us were gathered in this old dying person's apartment while he was in the hospital. Even though it was quite awkward, the spirit was for sure there and she knew it. Her responses to all of our questions were very slow in coming and we both felt as though it was because the spirit was working hard on her. She was baptized catholic and we are working on her testimony of Joseph Smith and the priesthood. We both promised her that as she came to know J.S. is a prophet of God she would want to be baptized into Christ's true church. She agreed wholeheartedly. It was a great lesson.

Elder Taylor and I are doing great. He is a great guy and an awesome basketball player. He is about 6 foot 2. Needless to say, it is pretty fun having a companion my size who is good at basketball. It really improves our chances as a companionship when we play basketball with the zone. He is sweet and he has been out about a year. We have tons of fun together and he taught me how to crochet. I am currently working on a scripture case, so I'll send pictures next week. I think they will turn out really really well. So if anyone wants a missionary made scripture case, let me know...ha ha.

I love you all so much and conference made me wish I had all of you around to enjoy it with. You provide me with so much strength and encouragement each and every day. I love you more and more with every second that passes by and I can't wait to be with you again!

-Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment