Monday, June 7, 2010

First Letter From Mitch

This is so great to finally have the chance to write home and tell you all what is going on here at the MTC. It has been such a great experience and I have been having the time of my life. I got a letter from you and dad and thats all. Tell the family and friends and the people on my Facebook to write me!

On to the good stuff. My district is a great group of elders and sisters. There are 7 elders and 4 sisters. All of us Elders will be leaving June 22nd for Canada. I love these boys and they're like my brothers already. The food isn't great but there is a lot of it and I have been starving, so i am hoping for a growth spurt (vertically if possible ha ha). My companion is Elder Remer from Las Vegas. He and I are getting along great, althouggh right now he is upset because he can't find his log in on his computer. Besides that, I got to see Eric Green and he is doing well. I got to see him on Sunday and it was such a lift of my spirits! I love that boy and can't wait to see my other boys. Tell them to get ready and to prepare for the hardest 4 days of their lives.

Wednesday when we showed up, we had a little mini devotional where we just learned the expectations and rules of missionaries, especially at the MTC. We went to bed pretty early after some instruction. The beds are alright but the rooms are hotter than our bedrooms at home in the middle of the summer. I can't tell you how much I miss the cool of our basement.

Thursday was mostly instruction time but I saw a lot of kids from high school and had a lot of bonding time with the Elders and Sisters in our district. We have been practicing finding "where people are on their spiritual journey" to diagnose where and how we can help them develop and progress towards Christ. We learned our purpose and I think that it would be good to share that with our family and have them keep that purpose in the back of their minds, "My purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them recieve the Restored Gospel through finding faith in Jesus Christ in his Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End."

Friday and Saturday were pretty much the same and huge testimony builders of hard work.

Sunday has been the best day here yet. The sacrament meeting with the other districts in our Zone was absolutely amazing. I had the opportunity to pass the Sacrament to these great Elders who have taught me so much already. I have never heard such powerful testimonies from men my age as the men I am serving with in my district and zone. We practiced speed contacting where we have about 2 minutes to share a message and place a book of mormon, and commit them to read and pray about its truthfulness. We had a fireside about the hymns at 8 and learned where some of the most beautiful hymns came from.

We had the opportunity to go to the temple this morning and I have never been so overwhelmed, even more so than when I took my own endowments out, as I was today. The room was filled to the brim with Elders all just dying to get out there and serve our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The spirit in that room as we all passed through the veil together was above anything i can describe.

I just need to tell you how much my testimony has grown in these last few days. Although they have been long days, I haven't been this close to the spirit ever in my life before. I still am having a lot of trouble recognizing it, or knowing whether or not it is with me....but I know it is close and I am working hard to find it. I love our Lord Jesus Christ and love his atonement for us. I know that this two years is nothing compared to his sacrifice for all of us. I know that this is the work I am meant to do, and that the people of Canada don't know what's comin for them in about 2 weeks. I know that Edmonton is where I am supposed to be in this world for these two years and i cannot wait to proclaim my love for the gospel in every way i can. I know now that i have a testimony of the church and book of mormon and their truthfulness. I know how much joy they give me and cannot wait to share it.
I love you so much and miss the family a lot. Be good. Remember who your son is, and what I now stand for.

Elder Brown (your favorite son and missionary)

1 comment:

  1. So great to read! What an awesome boy he is. We love you Mitch! We're going to miss you this summer...the swimming pool won't be the same without you!

    ReplyDelete